External HDD

fit will a dee noo 17:09 01 Jun 2008

I have a western digital external HDD that wont appear in MY COMPUTER (Windows XP Pro)
As soon as i connect via USB windows recognises and and says new hardware ready to use , as well as disk drive found etc etc etc but open My COMPUTER and no signs of it so cant access it

Tried updtae driver and all that mil;arky but no success any one out there experienced this type of fault before with any USB device , then cheers , or is it mmy Hard Drive after all

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:25 01 Jun 2008

Go to start-control panel-admin tools-computer management-storage-disk management and you should be able to see the drives. Right click on a drive that is 'hidden' and select change drive letter/paths...select any other letter preferably from the end of the alphabet..press ok and the disk should appear in my computer..try another letter if it is still hidden.

fit will a dee noo 17:39 01 Jun 2008

Gandalf
Thanks for the quick response
Well i get to the disk management page but can only see my C:\ drive and another that doesnt have a path letter and is only 55 MB in size it`s status says Healthy (EISA Configuration) File system FAT

Its been a wee while since i`ve used rthis external drive but i`m sure its 80 Gb

Cheers

fit will a dee noo 18:46 01 Jun 2008

Marg7

I can`t see the drive to assign it a letter the above one i mention hasn`t any options either

The windows XP hardware wizard does see it and has its digital signature but i`m thinking the drive isn`t running up ? thanks anyway for the reply

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?