External HDD

Ikelos 15:08 11 Mar 2008

Hi, this might sound silly, I have just got myself a usb freecom external hard drive, it has a on/off switch on it, is it ok to just switch it on and off, as and when.

thanks

bremner 15:10 11 Mar 2008

No
You should safely eject it first to ensure that all writes have been made by the Operating system

Ikelos 15:12 11 Mar 2008

sorry, how do i do that. thank you

Technotiger 15:16 11 Mar 2008

I have two external hard drives with switches - I switch them on each morning prior to starting up my PC, then I switch them off each night Prior to closing down my PC. Have never given me any problems.

Technotiger 15:17 11 Mar 2008

Oops sorry, that last statement should read ... then I switch them off each night *After* closing down PC.

Ikelos 15:18 11 Mar 2008

so you are switching them off before the PC is shut down, or have I lost the plot

Thanks

Ikelos 15:21 11 Mar 2008

thanks

bremner 15:45 11 Mar 2008

You should not switch off the hard drive without safely ejecting it. Technotiger has been fortunate.

To safely eject click here

Miké 15:51 11 Mar 2008

If you have "Optmize for safe removal" set and they are ntfs drives, should not be a problem turning them of prior to shutting down.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:55 11 Mar 2008

Switch on when you like.

but only switch off when the drive is NOT being written to (does it have a LED that fashes when the drive is being written to or reading from?)

bremner 16:00 11 Mar 2008

Unfortunately Windows can perform lazy writes. This means it may not make a write immediately. When you perform the safely eject function it ensures all 'pending writes' have been made.

No disk light activity is no guarantee all pending writes have been made.

Safely ejecting is quick and easy, why would you risk loosing data by not doing it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?