External H/D laptop sees it as a dvd/cd drive

Sparkly 16:52 01 Jul 2010

Hi a friend has just dropped off an external H/D i have formatted it NTSC and is working happily as an external drive on my desktop (XP) sp3 and allso on another desktop Vista Home Premium sp2 and my laptop Vista Home Premium sp2 but when it is connected to the frieds laptop it only see's it as a DVD/CD drive and each time i try to open it i am told "No disc" in the drive.
Any ideas how to get it to see it as an external drive?
Laptop is
Vista Home Basic SP2
Fujitsu Siemans Amilo
Celeron 550 @2.00 GHZ
1 gig ram
32 bit OS

Sparkly 17:56 01 Jul 2010

Right on the problem laptop now gone into disc management and the drive shows up as Disc 1 Basic External 465.76 GBs NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition)But when i go to My Computer it still is not shown there any thoughts please.

sherwoodsolns 18:01 01 Jul 2010

in windows management try assigning a drive letter to the disk.

as the "disc 1 basic!" is the description the laptop assumes it is not a disk or usb device.

have you tried plugging in a usb stick - do you get the same result?

try uninstalling the driver for the device when it shows in windows - then plug device in and see if laptop installs correct driver.

Sparkly 18:14 01 Jul 2010

Hi sherwoodsolns thankyou for your advice and it work atreat by assigning a drive letter i have shut down and restarted a number of times and each time now the drive is recognised, something so simple. Many thanks again.
Sparkly

sherwoodsolns 18:43 01 Jul 2010

no problem - I wish all computer fixes were easy..but you can't have everything :-(

sherwoodsolns 18:44 01 Jul 2010

no problem - I wish all computer fixes were easy..but you can't have everything :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?