external Hd

tomtojo 14:15 14 Feb 2007

Hieveryone,
I have just plugged in a 250gb ext-hd, do I just use it like a new internal drive, ie, install os on it etc, also how do I transfer stuff from my internal to the external hd, what I want to do is format my internal hd.

Thank's alot
Tom

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:32 14 Feb 2007

Plug the disk in and open 'my computer'. You should see a new drive listed there, probably with the 'removable disk' phrase. You do not need an OS on it all you need to do is copy or drag folders/documents/photos/music to it

G

tomtojo 14:37 14 Feb 2007

Thank's GANDALF,
I understand, but can I install new os
on it anyway, and use it seperately from my internal hd.

Thank's Tom

Totally-braindead 14:42 14 Feb 2007

You cannot boot from a USB drive unless your computer supports it and most don't.
So far as I know you cannot do what you ask but perhaps someone else knows better.

tomtojo 14:49 14 Feb 2007

So I could move everything to ext hd, then format internal, and put back what I need. How would I format int hd compleatley.

Thank's Totally-braindead

Tom

Technotiger 14:55 14 Feb 2007
  tomtojo 15:04 14 Feb 2007

Hi Technotiger,
Link was last updated 2004 maybe can boot from usb now, will have to do a bit of research.

Thank's
Tom

tomtojo 15:22 14 Feb 2007

What is XP embedded, just looked at news,softpedia.com, say's about booting from usb with XP embedded.

Thank's
Tom

PS, don't know how to add link to thread's, sorry!

Technotiger 15:26 14 Feb 2007

To add link to thread - hightlight url in address bar at top, then click on Edit>Copy then come down to where I am now typing this message and left-click then right-click and click on Paste.

Technotiger 15:27 14 Feb 2007

ps - after doing the above, it will appear as a Click-here when you post your response.

ed-0 15:30 14 Feb 2007

Do you know what motherboard you have? that will determine if you can boot from an external hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?