External Hardrive Problem.

mendusa 01:33 30 Dec 2010

Hey guys,

I've recently been running into alot of problems with my external hardrive (IOMEGA ego 500 gb usb powered external hardrive).Yesterday the ext hardrive wouldn't recognise on my laptop causing it to crash.When I turned on my laptop it today it was asking me to reformat the hardrive which I can't due to files been on it.

Lo and behold it all of a sudden it recognised the external hardrive and I was able to access the files and I transferred over a few files then all of a sudden went back to needs to be reformatted.I tried it on my pc and laptop to no avail.

So here I am is there any way to access the hardrive without reformatting it which will clear everything on it.I have a Windows XP installed on my pc and vista on my laptop if that matters.

Thanks in advance :).

timsmith259 02:36 30 Dec 2010

try to copy the files even if it means copying pasting individual files onto another fully format drive, then reformat the iomega

mendusa 03:46 30 Dec 2010

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the reply,but the problem is I can't access the files at all when I click properties it comes up that there is 0mb used and 0mb free space.The laptop recognises the hardrive itself as the hardrive icon comes up in My Computer,but when I click on it it asks me to format the drive.I tried your copying and pasting idea with the icon itself to another drive but alas no luck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :).

KremmenUK 06:35 30 Dec 2010

I would say try it on another PC to find out where the problem lies.

mendusa 17:59 30 Dec 2010

Hey Krem,

Thanks for the reply I've tried it on 2 different laptops and a desktop with the same result needs to be reformatted.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 30 Dec 2010

click here test disk should recover your files

mendusa 18:32 30 Dec 2010

Hi Fruit Bat,

Thanks for the response would you believe I downloaded the version of testdisk you recommended but it didn't read the drive I tried a previous version and it's recognising on the program.

So half the battle is won for me,I select the drive then it asks me what partition table type to use the options are as follows:

Intel,
EFI GTL
Mac
None
Sun
Xbox

Which one to select?

Really appreciate all the responses I got so far guys thanks :).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?