External hard drives again

exdragon 08:10 30 Aug 2009

Hi - I've read so many threads about these - would you say there's not really much difference between Lacie, Seagate and Western Digital? Or is it just a case of people have good and bad experiences with each? (as with most technology!)

I've got a couple of LaCies but want a 1TB, but am getting confused with the variety of models in each range.

Another LaCie would look neat and tidy on my desk, but I suppose that's not the best criterion for purchasing!

Any comments would be appreciated.

accordion 08:14 30 Aug 2009

"I've read so many threads about these - would you say there's not really much difference between Lacie, Seagate and Western Digital? Or is it just a case of people have good and bad experiences with each?"

You've answered your own question really. I have used Western Digital and they have all been just fine. Someone is bound to say they are a bad choice though.

Get the one you like the look of.

Dave

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:33 30 Aug 2009

You pays your money and takes your choice...

Personally I wouldn't touch a Lacie, never had any problems with either Seagate or WD

wee eddie 15:52 30 Aug 2009

Producing Drives by the Case/Container full. e.g. made by the thousand, day in, day out.

Then think of the number of problems that crop up, which must be a tiny percentage of the total produced. Whichever you buy you should be OK.

I have 2 WD Drives and an old one (Seagate)filched out of a redundant PC. Touch-wood, no problems, but I did destroy an earlier one by unplugging it before it had finished writing.

wee eddie 15:54 30 Aug 2009

I haven't written a CD or DVD in years.

I think that they're almost redundant as a Storage Medium.

exdragon 16:06 30 Aug 2009

Hmm, just got a LaCie but haven't opened the box yet!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?