external hard drives

Khyron 21:00 14 Apr 2008

I'm looking at external hard drives, some of them have fans and external power source. I'm going to use it for storage of music,video and photos.......should I invest in one that has a fan or is it really necessary ?.......Any suggestions would be nice.

Jim_F 21:25 14 Apr 2008

I got the Seagate Freeagent as a backup device - mine was 250Gb but they come in all sizes and prices.click here

FatboySlim71 22:00 14 Apr 2008

My advice is to make your own, by this I mean, buy a caddy (hard drive enclsoure) and a hard drive. I bought the below combination a couple of months back and its fantastic. Also with the caddy that I got, it came with a SATA bracket, with this if your PC has a spare SATA port on the motherboard you can connect the caddy/drive on to this, by connecting it by this method the drive will be able to read/write at the fastest rate.

I will give you an example:

Previous to me making my own drive I owned a Western Digital MY Book, to do a backup of my PC used to take 38 minutes, to do the same back up with the drive I made up takes 12-13 minutes. As you can see the SATA method is a lot faster.

I will add that if you want to, you are able to connect the caddy to the PC via USB 2. I know the caddy that I got doesnt have a fan but it has more than ample ventalation for cooling, also modern hard drives barely get warm so I don't see the need for a fan personally.

This is the hard drive that I got. click here=

This is the caddy (hard drive enclosure)
click here

john bunyan 22:17 14 Apr 2008

I agree with FatboySlim71. I got mine by mail order from Maplin (black) It has a key to switch on and off. Actually for belt and braces I also have an external HD, so use Acronis True Image 11 on the caddy drive to clone the primary onto the caddy (slave), and keep extra music. photos erc on the external 500 gig Freecom drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?