External hard drives

dangerusone 19:48 03 Feb 2007

I'm thinking of getting an external hard drive (Maplins are advertising 400GB for £89.99)but as I understand it they have no fan ie.cooling,can they be left running for long periods unattended?

Technotiger 19:50 03 Feb 2007

Hi, I have two external hard drives, one is a Seagate 320Gb from PCW just uner £80, they both have internal fans, no problem with cooling or over-heating. They are on all the time my pc is on.

Totally-braindead 19:56 03 Feb 2007

I have a external hard drive made from an old internal hard drive and an enclosure which are available for about £20.
It doesn't have a fan are remains quite cool but the power supply for it is an adaptor if you know what I mean, a transformer that is, and I find that its not a good idea to use it for hours and hours at a time as the adaptor does get quite warm.
The actual drive doesn't warm up that much though.
I personally don't think its that good an idea to have them on 24/7 anyway as it increases wear and tear. I only switch mine on when I want to use it for backups etc. If it was a drive I was constantly using then I would prefer adding another internal one but of course if I do this I lose the flexability in that I can't take it with me.
Thats just me though, I'm sure theres many others that have their one on all the time.

Technotiger 19:57 03 Feb 2007

A selection here, some have fans, some don't, but even those without are built to handle temperatures.

click here

dangerusone 20:15 03 Feb 2007

I think I will go for the Maplins one which is a Seagate 400GB, seems a decent offer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017