External Hard Drives

meater 16:43 03 Sep 2006

Hi There,
Can anybody tell me if I buy an External Hard Drive, Will I have to re-activate Windows XP everytime I plug it into my computer, when I am using two computers, to use it on.

Thanks for any help,

meater

VoG II 16:51 03 Sep 2006

I very much doubt it. I don't have to.

Diodorus Siculus 16:51 03 Sep 2006

No, you will not need to do so.

FelixTCat 17:23 03 Sep 2006

meater,

Are you proposing to install XP on the external drive?

If that is the case, then you will not be able to run it on both pcs by moving the drive from one to the other.

Regards,

Felix

Diemmess 17:27 03 Sep 2006

.........you are trying to put a new installation of XP on the new external HD.

For any other use like data storage and backups an external HD has all sorts of uses and versatility.

Totally-braindead 17:30 03 Sep 2006

Agree with the others. As long as you are not proposing to actually have Windows itself on the drive you will not need to reactivate Windows.

gerryp96 22:19 03 Sep 2006

I have just bought external drive and have the Acronis backup disc, when you do the first backup and then do the incrementals after does this backup the Windows XP. Haven't run the disc yet so any advice would be helpful, what happens when you first run this Acronis disc?

Expat 1 23:10 03 Sep 2006

I bought an LG External 200Gb USB Hard Drive. Solely for Back Ups on my last visit to the UK, because the electricity supply out here in Spain can be a nightmare sometimes. Everything I do on this Lap Top is backed up to the hard drive. And It's been a godsend believe me. So go ahead and buy one. I was advised NOT to put the OS on it (XP Home) but do put System Resore point there.

terryf 23:13 03 Sep 2006

What Acronis does is to take a snapshot of your C drive with OS and progs together with anything else you have on it. This is called an image. It then writes this image to the place you designate. If you need to restore from this image, boot up from the disk that Acronis recommend you to burn. Acronis then asks if you want to delete the partition you are restoring to (I say yes) and it then writes the 'snapshot'onto your C drive. I keep all data on my D drive so that I only restore the OS and progs when os is playing up. I keep a copy of the data from D on my ext drive as compressed files. Incrementals can take up a lot of room and IMO are not needed if you keep data on separate drive. I find it best if I add several progs, to make a new complete image in a different folder then after a while delete the first

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?