External hard drive suggestions.....

blackpat 09:35 16 Jan 2009

Could anyone suggest an external hard drive for a dell dimension 5150 pc (not laptop) around 200 gb. The most important thing is, it has to be as simple as possible to use for complete backing up.
Blackpat

Pineman100 10:22 16 Jan 2009

To be honest, the choice of external hard drive makes very little difference. It's the backup software that will govern whether the process is simple or not.

Of course, you don't actually need software for a simple data backup. You could just copy the appropriate folders across to the external drive from within Windows Explorer.

Tell us a bit more about what/how you want to backup. Is it just your data, or do you want to image your entire system?

blackpat 06:07 17 Jan 2009

Pineman, the info was for a friend,she has Norton ghost 10. Initially she wants to image the entire system. I see what you mean about copying folders, never thought of that. Thanks very much for your help.
blackpat

Pineman100 10:36 17 Jan 2009

Imaging her system is a good plan. However, I suggest that she should be looking at a rather large external hard drive. 200 gig is very much at the small end, nowadays, and wouldn't give her much spare capacity against future needs.

Remember that, for decent security, you need a drive that will hold several images of your system, and you need to factor in future data needs such as music files, photos... possibly even movies.

Big drives are pretty cheap nowadays, so I would suggest that she looks for something around 500GB or more. For an example click here

blackpat 06:45 19 Jan 2009

Thanks pineman, I will forward your info, and will even get a bigger one myself.
much obliged.
Blackpat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?