external hard drive suddenly stopped working

callum581 21:50 22 Feb 2010

for a couple of days now, i haven't been able to access my external hard drive (from any computer). the drive doesn't show up in 'my computer' if it is connected from when i boot the machine and if i connect it after windows starts up and then try to access 'my computer', the entire function of 'my computer' freezes (nothing happens if i right click or left click or anything).

if i have it connected from boot, the drive still shows up in the device manager and it doesn't appear as yellow so the computer seems to think it's working fine; until i try to do anything like uninstall the driver or disable it, at which point, my computer freezes again.

this may seem really stupid but i have a sneaking suspicion that the problem might have come from my girlfriend's computer as i lent her the hard drive and when i got it back, found an infection on it. however, i papped the infected files in the vault and the hdd worked fine for about a week before any problems arose.

am i going to need to send it for data recovery or can anyone offer a simple solution?

Technotiger 21:57 22 Feb 2010

If you go to the Drives' Makers website, you might be able to download a Diagnostic/Repair facility - though I have never had to do this myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?