External hard drive storage & sharing round house

RobMcConnell 22:39 30 Dec 2007

Hi

I will be buying a Belkin USD hub to support an external hard drive on my wireless network.

I wanted the hard drive to be accessable without having to leave one of my laptops on constantly.

The hard drive will contain all my movies/photos/itubnes music, freeing up space on my laptop.

I want to access the stuff on the hard drive round the house, I know its just a drive. What would I need to access the hard drive and play movies wirelessly on my TV upstairs in the bedroom.

Also is there a stereo out there that would access my itunes library wirelessly. Or would it be better to go with a hifi with a hard drive and duplicate my music on there.

Thanks
Rob

MCE2K5 22:47 30 Dec 2007

This is the one I've got, click here 500 GB HS-DH500GL

Not USB Though, Plugs Direct inti the Router.

Also has two USB2 on it, one for Printer and the other for a USB2 h/d.

DieSse 23:04 30 Dec 2007

Yes, as MCE2K5 indicated, you need a NAS - Network attached store - this hangs on to network cabling, and essentially is a device containing drives that are available to all network users.

Here's a number of such devices, where you fit your own drives. You can also get complete units with drives fitted, such as the Buffalo one above.

You can't do what you want with a USB device, unless the computer that runs it is always operating.

You can also get wi.fi media units, such as this

click here

click here

which do the kind of thing you want to do with music and video files. Also see their full range of devices.

DieSse 23:05 30 Dec 2007

Sorry - link to NAS boxes here click here

DieSse 23:11 30 Dec 2007

Yet another apology - because of the "all too clever" way that Conceptronic organise their web site - their links don't work above.

Just go to the site and browse through their products. The ones I specifically mentioned are in the "Grab'n Go devices section.

MCE2K5 23:29 30 Dec 2007

Rob, read through this also, click here

RobMcConnell 12:26 31 Dec 2007

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info, so it looks like I should go with the NAS or a media unit.

If I understand right, some of the NAS come with built in hard drives, like the maxtor?

Are the media units pretty much the same product, as long as they are able to connect into an ethernet port.

Both are able to support itunes and media players of some sort.

Now how do I stream this wirelessly to a tv or stereo and whats the quality and speed needed.

Not sure if this is possible yet.

Thanks
Rob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?