External Hard Drive spaceproblem

Trikie 01:56 03 Jan 2010

I have a Lacie external hard drive. I have not created any partitions, just4 folders - one to back up documents, one to store photos, one to do basic video editing and one to store the lacie manual.

The size is shown as 698GB with 610GB free space.

The backups and photos folders are shown as being greater than 13.7 and 29.8 respectively. The manuals and video are shown as 60.5 and 38.0 respectively.

When trying to render a 42 minute video project I get a message that there is insufficient space - "either reduce the size or use a different drive".

As there is 610GB free I'm baffled by this. Is there an explanation and solution?

Opening the drive the size is shown as 698GB with 610GB free space.

stlucia 08:24 03 Jan 2010

Video files can be very large, but I doubt that 42 minutes should generate a file that large!

My only thought is that your video software is assuming, by default, that you want to record to C: drive or one of your other hard drives. Have you double-checked the setting for destination drive?

gigagiggles 09:51 03 Jan 2010

trikie, you have not mentioned the available free space on your OS drive. the rendering may require a temporary folder to store the processed data. the temp folder would normally reside on the OS drive in the user profile folder.

DieSse 12:06 03 Jan 2010

How is the external drive formatted? (FAT32 or NTFS) - there is a maximum file size on FAT32 partitions of 4GB.

Trikie 14:09 03 Jan 2010

Thanks folks.The external drive is NTFS and i have double checked the destination drive. I've created a new folder and tried to put the rendered AVI file in that but still no joy.

This leaves gigagiggles idea. As a very non technical user how do I check the available free space on the OS drive? is there any way that I can increase it (short of buying a better PC which is something I am considering)

IClaudio 14:18 03 Jan 2010

...the available free space on the OS drive?"

The same way as the external drive, i.e., right click on the drive icon and select 'Properties'.

If you are indeed short of space on your C: drive, you can probably change the Temporary Drive in the software's Preferences dialogue (usually in the 'File' menu somewhere), though depending on the performance of the external drive, it may have trouble shifting large video files around (though LaCie are usually very good)

IClaudio 14:20 03 Jan 2010

Oh, and it may be an idea to store the LaCie manual on another drive - if goes down, you're going to need support info!

Trikie 15:05 03 Jan 2010

Thanks IClaudio. I've moved the manual - never thought of the possible problem.

Further evidence of my lack of technical skill is that I can't find an icon for my Operating System (XP Home with SP2). Is there another wayu to get at it?

DieSse 19:34 03 Jan 2010

"I can't find an icon for my Operating System (XP Home with SP2). Is there another wayu to get at it?"

There isn't one - it runs all the time, so no icon is required.

What are you trying to find one to do? If it's finding the free space on your internal drive - then open My Computer, and right-click on the base drive (C) - then choose Properties from the menu that opens, and it'll tell you the space usage.

Trikie 20:25 03 Jan 2010

Thanks DieSse. I was trying to find it as gigagiggles thought that I might not have enough free space. In fact I have 36.4 GB free (used 39.9).

gigagiggles also referred to a separate tempoarary folder to store the rendered data.Another very basic question - how do I find the OS user profile and if there is no temporary file there can I create one?

woodchip 20:37 03 Jan 2010

Check the Program Preferences for Storage where and how much. Its no good just taking stabs at what you think may be it. The Video Program will have set all the Properties as Default, until you change them after you install the Program

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache