External Hard drive problems in Win 7

tAtu*! 20:32 02 Dec 2009

Hi all
Running win 7 Home premium 64 bit. I have copied a load of MP3's and photos from my win xp sp2 laptop to a seagate freeagent 250 gig external hard drive. When I open this hard drive up in win 7 I can see the mp3s and photos listed, but all the photo's are of an animate landscape and when I go to the mp3's there is no album info and I get an error message : Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

woodchip 20:37 02 Dec 2009

Sounds like just just copied them all to the drive rather than creating different folder for Photos and MP3's
And windows as got lost

tAtu*! 20:38 02 Dec 2009

thanks woodchip, do you know how or what I can do to resolve it? Its over 30 gigs worth of stuff and takes an age to copy from XP laptop to external hard drive

tAtu*! 20:39 02 Dec 2009

also, when I try to play a movie I get the error message :Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

woodchip 23:51 02 Dec 2009

The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec You can download these free from the web.

As to you main Problem if you still have the Files in the original places on the computer I would do it again after first right click the External Drive choose New then Folder and Create a Name to the folder, for the Items you want to put in. For pictures I have Folders withing the Main Folder for different Places I have have taken them with the name of the place

tAtu*! 06:07 03 Dec 2009

thanks. How do i know what codecs i need and where can i download them from? Also a couple of word docs also wont open? Many thanks

tAtu*! 07:33 03 Dec 2009

Sorry.... forgot to mention, when I have copied the pics over and movies, they are in specific folders ie.Movies 2008 The folder shows a thumbnal with the opening credits on but wont play??

When the external hard drive is connected to the laptop I can watch movies/listen to music using VLC/WMP11/Quicktime but once the hard drive is hooked up to Win 7 desktop, no player (real/WMP11/Quicktime works

Thanks

tAtu*! 12:28 03 Dec 2009

^^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?