External Hard Drive Problems

aces_high_4 16:05 02 May 2007

A year or so ago I bought a 400GB external hard drive. For about the first 7 months it worked like a treat and I never had any problems with it. Then all of a sudden I started to get problems when trying to start it up.

I wrote to the people that I bought it from, and they sent me a new power supply. They assured me that this would fix the problem. Sure enough they were right and the drive worked fine again without any loss of data. A couple of months later the same problem happened again and I decided to just buy a new caddie/case rather than write to the seller again. This time I went for one that was quite expensive and once again the problem was solved.

I have now had it for over a year and there seems to be a problem again although this time it isn't the casing. I have tried a new case which didn't work and I put another hard drive in the caddie and it works. This has brung me to think there is a problem with the hard drive. When I turn it on I get a F:/ drive appear whereas before, when it worked, I would get 2 partitions F:/ (about 300GB partition) and G:/(about 100GB partition). If I right click on the F:/ drive and go to properties it tells me that the drive has no used space and no free space. When I double click on it, it tells me that the drive needs formatting. If I do go in to the format screen it tells me the drive is 250GB.

On the hardware side the drive is spinning and there are no clicking sounds. Also giving the underneath the once over the circuit board has no obvious problems.

I really do hope you can help me with this because there are a lot of irreplaceable personal files (photos, college work etc) on the hard drive and I don’t have £600 to pay for expert assistance. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

skidzy 16:13 02 May 2007

Try to recover the partition and data using Testdisk and Drive Rescue.

click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?