External Hard drive problem

Beavis69 13:41 14 Jan 2006

I've recently purchased an external hard drive. As per the instructions, as I am running XP, I don't need a driver.

Problem being when I plug it in and go to my computer, it isn't showing up? Also, I am not getting a prompt telling me new hard ware found, only the icon to safely remove hardware.

Any ideas?

Danoh 13:44 14 Jan 2006

Did you connect via a USB connector and cable?

Does the Icon to safely remove hardware show your new external hard drive?

And of course, your external hard drive's power cable is connected and switched on, right?

Beavis69 13:49 14 Jan 2006

Yep. Connecting via the USB.

The Icon to safely remove does detail my hard drive .

As regards power, it powers up via the USB.

The drive is working fine, as I took it into to work and plugged it into my work pc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:42 14 Jan 2006

Control Panel - system - hardware - Device Manager.

Select (double click)the USB root Hubs - Power management tab - Untick "Allow the computer to switch off this device.

Do the same for all the USB hubs.

Devices can take a couple of minutes to be recognised on some PCs

woodchip 14:45 14 Jan 2006

Nothing to do with above. Right Click "My Computer" choose Manage\Disc Management you will see the drive in there but it needs setting up re Partition Format

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:49 14 Jan 2006

Thought it was already formatted as working on his PC at work.

freaky 18:55 14 Jan 2006

The problem could be that the drive is not receiving sufficient power from your USB, whereas your PC at work uses a powered Hub !

Beavis69 19:26 16 Jan 2006

Tried all the above, still no joy. How do I tell if I have a powered hub? Assuming I don't, is there any thing I can do?

woodchip 19:50 16 Jan 2006

the hub will have a wire from a mains adapter to the hub, other than usb wire

freaky 21:18 16 Jan 2006

An external HD normally uses the USB to transfer data to and from the PC - I would not have thought there would be sufficient electrical power available to also power the drive.

In the case of your PC at work, you may have attached it to a USB socket that had it's power supply as per Woodchip's post above - in that case there might have been sufficient power available to also power the drive.

I must confess I have never heard of an external HD that did not have a separate power supply !

woodchip 21:20 16 Jan 2006

Only a 2.5" drive will work direct from Laptop USB without it's own power supply

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?