external hard drive not visible

Scorpion2112 12:41 11 Jun 2017

Hi. I have a western digital external hard drive connected to my PC via Lan cable but Windows (10) not showing it. I've connected it to Daughters Laptop on Windows (10) and it is showing there. Any help appreciated.

Martin.

difarn 16:35 11 Jun 2017

In Device Manager is there a yellow question mark by the device? If so try updating the driver.

Have you tried running the Troubleshooter? Start - type troubleshooting in the search box, Hardware and Sound - configure a device, follow the instructions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:03 11 Jun 2017

Does it work if connected by USB?

Scorpion2112 18:42 11 Jun 2017

There is no USB to PC connection available. I can plug a memory stick in it but can't connect it to the PC. There is no yellow question mark in device manager. It is as if the LAN connection/socket on the Pc has been disabled or something.

Got me baffled.

Martin.

wee eddie 19:27 11 Jun 2017

Sounds more like a NAS Drive to me

wee eddie 19:36 11 Jun 2017

If it is a NAS Drive, it will appear on your Network

wee eddie 21:26 11 Jun 2017

Try plugging it into your Router then everyone will be able to access it

Scorpion2112 22:05 11 Jun 2017

Done that but still can't access it from This PC. I have a new PC. it worked when I first set it up but can't seem to locate it now. I've installed WD discovery software but just says nothing found

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires