External hard drive not visible!

finchyboy 22:13 20 May 2009

I've been using an Toshiba Gigastore external hard drive for about 12 months with a tower unit and laptop (both running on XP). It's a USB connection and never had problems before.....that is until this week when i purchased a new tower unit running Vista 64. Since connecting to this new PC, I can't get the external hard drive to work with either the new PC or the laptop which previously had no problems (just plug and play).

It's clearly connecting to the PC and laptop as i've checked device manager. If i remove the USB, it this disappears so obviously the connection works. But i'm buggered if i can't see it, access the data!!!!

Previous with old PC and laptop, it was a simple case of plug and play - no issues, very simple, drive was identified.

I've checked the drivers and the system says they are up-to-date etc.

Any advice appreciated as it's doing my head in!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:24 20 May 2009

go to start-control panel-admin tools-computer management- disk management and see if the druve is there. If it is right click on it and select'change drive letter' select 'change' and assign it an obscure drive letter.

finchyboy 22:30 20 May 2009

thanks for quick response Gandalf. I'm not getting an option to change driver letter? Any ideas.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?