External hard drive not recognised but works fine.

herc182 18:28 12 Mar 2009

So I have a Lacie external hard drive. Now when plugged into windows it is not readable...it says that the drive is corrupt and unreadable. However I can recover files fine from it...using file scavenger.

My question is this:

Is there some auto play file that is missing? Or something I can do to it to get it to work again? Otherwise I will have to chuck it which is annoying.

thanks (BTW I have tried it in another laptop with the same result...)

mgmcc 19:55 12 Mar 2009

As long as there isn't any data on the drive that you need to keep, you should be able to remove any existing partitions, repartition the drive, allocate a drive letter and then format it.

Do this in Disk Management ("Start > Run", type DISKMGMT.MSC and click OK).

herc182 21:35 12 Mar 2009

i will have a look at doing that...once I have removed everything I want from it!

any other ideas in case that doesnt work?

thanks

lotvic 22:54 12 Mar 2009

I would think that if that doesn't work the drive is kaput

herc182 23:06 12 Mar 2009

hmmm i think I am resigned to chucking it now anyway...bottom line is that I dont trust it...which is annoying since its not that old.

Andsome 07:51 13 Mar 2009

Have you in the past simply unplugged it or turned it off without going through the dismount procedure?

lotvic 21:12 13 Mar 2009

If it is 'not that old' it will be still under manufacturers repair/replace deal. Check on their website for the date it expires.
Also use the manufacturers software to check the health of the drive - probably available to download or you may have received a CD when you purchased Harddrive.

lotvic 21:21 13 Mar 2009

link to Support for your drive click here

herc182 22:53 13 Mar 2009

i never unplug without doing so in windows...

The suppport link does not help unfortunately but thanks for posting it,.,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?