External Hard drive help needed!!

deanoB 15:38 03 Oct 2007

hey! i currently have a pc desktop and want to swap it for a macbook, i was thinking of getting an external hard drive to put all my files on! i was looking at a seagate freeagent go 160 GB or seagate freeagent desktop!! being a complete novice when it comes to all things technical am i likely to run into any issues doing this? or can you suggest an alternative hard drive? cheers

woodchip 15:45 03 Oct 2007

I don't think the Drive is a Problem. Your problem is that a Macbook will not I don't think be able to read see your files

Marko797 15:45 03 Oct 2007

Don't know anything about macbooks, but on external HDD I have a usb Toshiba 500gb - cheap from PCWorld, had it for 3 yrs and no probs. Great for storage. Depends what u want to store, and what capacity u anticipate. I personally would go bigger than 160gb.

Marko797 15:47 03 Oct 2007

As woodchip says, file compatibility might be a problem. I'll defer to woodchip.

deanoB 16:06 03 Oct 2007

so any files, photos that i have on pc will not be accessible on the macbook...hmmmm!! is there any way to convert them?

Diemmess 16:07 03 Oct 2007

I have no trouble copying jpg and pdf files via a pen drive but as woodchip hints a lot may depend on the Mac applications for how they recognise data from a PC environment. Word for example.
There are ways around, but they tend to be unsatisfactory, expensive, tedious, or all three.

deanoB 16:13 03 Oct 2007

all i am worried about is my photos and music files from itunes

woodchip 20:10 03 Oct 2007

Your best bet is stick with a PC

Enoch 05:22 28 Oct 2007

I have changed to a MacBook after being PC user for many years (I am a senior citizen). The improvement is nothing short of miraculous. The time tacken to change from PC to Mac is well worth the effort.

I transferred all info by linking the PC and Mac together by usb. It took time but the results are worth it. Each time I transferred I checked to see if it had arrived (like My Pictures file) because I was nervous, there was no need to be

denoB-----jump in with both feet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?