External Hard Drive: Formatting

The Brown Rock 21:25 22 Jan 2010

A new external hard drive to use as a backup. (Windows 7) In formatting, when I get to "Disk Management" I get a list of my disks in a dropdown menu, included is my new 465GB hard Disk with "Unallocated" notice.This is as far as I can go with formatting. All prior reading suggested I should from here be given a choice of formatting, as in "NTFS" name change, volume etc. When I right click on the disk it says "Create a volume disk Create a striped disk. I'm afraaid to go there as I don't understand it. Can anyone on the forum get me moved on through formatting,when I intend to install "Macrium Reflect" as a backup (Fingers crossed).

Technotiger 21:39 22 Jan 2010

Choose to 'Create new Volume', once done you should then be able to format it.

The Brown Rock 21:51 22 Jan 2010

This is what cames up on right click: "New Spanned Volume." "New Striped Volume." "Convert to Dynamic Disk." Convert to GPT Disk." It would appear that the first two are not "active" anyway?

Technotiger 22:02 22 Jan 2010

This should offer some explanation, much better than I can.

click here

The Brown Rock 22:17 22 Jan 2010

Sorry, nothing coming up!

User-312386 22:18 22 Jan 2010

Covert to dynamic. I assume you dont want to "raid" any discs as the option is greyed out which means you dont have more than one disc

User-312386 22:19 22 Jan 2010

And then format in NTFS

woodchip 22:41 22 Jan 2010

As above you have to first Create a Partition in other words Volume Then Make it active shut down and restart then right click Disc Letter and format

The Brown Rock 22:41 22 Jan 2010

I am now getting "The operation is not supported by the object" in new window

woodchip 22:42 22 Jan 2010

As above you have to first Create a Partition in other words Volume Then Make it active shut down and restart then right click Disc Letter and format

PS it needs to be NTFS

The Brown Rock 22:48 22 Jan 2010

As already stated, I expected to do this in Disk Management, so I'm back where I started. Be assured I appreciate your comments and help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017