External hard drive with files left on it - takin

toodlepip 19:40 09 Oct 2007

I have a 100gb external hard drive which I decided to empty out and put some new stuff on there. I removed all the files and when I looked at the contents using the Norton speed disk I expected to see that I had a completely empty drive, but I haven't I have 16.2gb utilized by 1968 folders and 106599 files, none of which show anywhere as I had removed all the files and folders. Looking at the most fragmented files section I see that many are shown as recycled and consist of stuff that I had deleted many moons ago.
Funnily enough when I had been transfering the shown files off the drive it was also showing files and folders that didn't have a file or folder so its seems I have files on there I can't get at. I don't need them, any way of cleaning them off please ? (Hope that makes sense, I am not very good at this sort of thing)

exodus 19:46 09 Oct 2007

Hi, if you want an empty drive, why not just format it.

exo

Graham. 19:48 09 Oct 2007
  toodlepip 19:56 09 Oct 2007

Well thanks, that was a quick and easy answer. I tried it, it worked.
I told you I didn't know much about this sort of thing, I belong to the abacus class of computing, at school at a time when computers were still the size of the average living room. Thanks.

exodus 20:06 09 Oct 2007

Hi, you are welcome. Thanks for the update.

exo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone