External Hard Drive File System

dogbreath1 20:03 05 Apr 2006

I have a Lacie 160GB ext. HD formatted in the NTFS file system. Acronis True Image creates one file when I backup my C drive to the Lacie.

I've just added a Buffalo 300GB ext. HD to my system and it came preformatted and it auto installed (as it was designed to) on connection. An Acronis image saved to this new drive resulted in 18 files all of 4,194,304KB. Then I noticed that the drive was preformatted in the Fat32 format.

I would prefer the latter disc to be in the more powerful and secure NTFS format and I am aware that I can run convert g: /fs:ntfs at the command prompt to achieve this.

My question is, although I understand that no data will be lost during the conversion, will the converted files still be accessible to Acronis should either the image need to be reinstalled or when it comes to do my first incremental backup??

I can't think why there should be a problem, but a niggling doubt has led me to seek your advice.

Any help would be most welcome.

woodchip 20:26 05 Apr 2006

Fat32 is best in External caddy so it can be used on all systems. But Win98 or ME cannot see NTFS.

I have a USB2 Caddy 200Gb partitioned into four one partition is NTFS this is to overcome the Fat32 files system size of 4,194,304KB. As I use it for Video's. The other partitions are Far32

dogbreath1 20:49 05 Apr 2006

Thanks for your response, woodchip. I take your point about compatibility but I have no access to any Win98 or ME machines.

woodchip 21:09 05 Apr 2006

Acronis Image should still work

dogbreath1 20:50 06 Apr 2006

...it seems that the Buffalo series cannot be changed from FAT32 to NTFS. So, unless someone knows something that Buffalo don't...FAT32 it is then!!

woodchip 22:17 06 Apr 2006

It can with Acronis Disc Director click here

I have this and it will do all you want

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?