External Hard Drive driver problem

McTaurus 17:15 14 Jan 2006

Just after Christmas I bought a Toshiba 320gb External USB Hard Drive. I connected it without any difficulty. Having used it successfully for two weeks I felt confident enough to transfer my personal data to it in preparation for a major clean up of the internal drive. On booting up yesterday, I received a "New Hardware Found" message, and I am prompted to load drivers for a "Cypress AT2LP RC42" device. I have managed to trace an identical report from someone who installed a similar USB external Drive (but of HP manufacture) who has the same problem - not yet resolved.
Any ideas, anyone?

Diemmess 18:11 14 Jan 2006

Even Google is a mite short on this one. Someone seems to have had a similar driver offer thrust upon him with an external burner! His snag is that having loaded the drivers it ceased to do anything at all.

Does your disk still behave or has it too gone on strike? Seems like a firmware fault, probably in the case rather than the HD itself.

(I paid a lot of money some years ago for an Amacon which turns out to have an ordinary Western Digital HD inside.
I recently bought a simple case/powersupply, tucked an old HD inside and it too has never misbehaved.)

It could make sense to return yours for a refund and try another of different manufacture.

McTaurus 18:23 14 Jan 2006

The drive is no longer recognised. Snag is - since I had run it successfully for a fortnight I felt confident enough to transfer all my data to it!

Diemmess 19:53 14 Jan 2006

You could try deleting all the USB items in Control manager > system > hardware.

Then on reboot, Windows will reload all the appropriate drivers, though whether it is better to leave the external HD to hot plug when running, or to leave it connected from cold I have no idea.

I assume your concern is with privacy but all the data files have their originals elsewhere?
If so and you fancy some sleight of hand, you can open the case carefully, remove the HD which can then be jury rigged in your box as a secondary HD.

It should respond there, and once it is formatted you can pop it all back in the case and wear an innocent smile!

McTaurus 20:04 14 Jan 2006

My main concern is that my data now only exists in one place!! My primary drive has been making ominous noises which is why I transferred all data to the external drive. Only last weekend did I start to delete the transferred files. I have GoBack installed - but can only recover to last Monday!
I am now trying the route of deleting USB devices to see what gives. I will be back to report idc!

McTaurus 20:28 14 Jan 2006

Deleting USB devices did not work. It merely got back to suggesting I look for drivers for the Cypress AT2 etc - which do not seem to exist within my computer. I have resisted the invitation to look on the web for such a driver in case that just makes matters worse (can it?) but since I did not pick up any references to it when I did a web search to get help at the sstart of this problem, I assume I will not find any?
I am wary at getting my screwdriver out on the external drive, but since I am in a fairly desperate plight, it is probably worth the risk. (A job for tomorrow I feel!)

Diemmess 20:32 14 Jan 2006

You could try it as-is on a friend's computer if you have such a thing locally? Otherwise good luck and good night.

McTaurus 20:34 14 Jan 2006

Thanks for your help. I might try to find a friend tomorrow before I get the screwdriver out!

woodchip 20:48 14 Jan 2006

Remove the Drive from Case and fit in Computer as Slave to get your files back the Repartition and Format the Drive using WinXP

McTaurus 10:13 15 Jan 2006

I have successfully managed to recover my internal hard disk to a point where (virtually) all my personal data has been retrieved, so am not now in such a state of panic. I will now simply return the drive to the shop and see what they say!
Thanks to all for their help.

Diemmess 10:41 15 Jan 2006

That IS good news!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?