External Hard Drive Cable

rabbitrabbit 18:02 02 Sep 2005

Bought a new EHD the other day. but i think i only have USB 1.1 on my computer. so the transfer rate is very slow.

i do, however have firewire. but i can't find a cable anywhere with 6-pin firewire at one end, and usb 2.0 and the other end that will go to the back of my external hard drive.

the only other option i suppose is buy a USB 2.0 port. which i'd rather not do right now.

any ideas?

woodchip 18:17 02 Sep 2005

USB2 will only work on XP without the Correct drivers for the Hardware you get

GroupFC 18:19 02 Sep 2005

Are you sure that the EHD supports firewire? and if it does didn't the cables come with it? (they did when I got mine!).

DieSse 18:38 02 Sep 2005

" but i can't find a cable anywhere with 6-pin firewire at one end, and usb 2.0 and the other end that will go to the back of my external hard drive."

Because there isn't one - the two things are not compatible. If you have Firewire on your enclosure, there will be a Firewire port on it as well as a USB port - otherwise you don't have it.

GroupFC 18:47 02 Sep 2005

That's what I thought but wasn't sure enough to say!

freaky 19:07 02 Sep 2005

Why don't you purchase and instal a USB2 PCI Card, they are just as quick as firewire.

jack 20:56 02 Sep 2005

If your EHD is USB than that is what it is - Firewire is a different technology.
as stated a USB 2 PCI card is the answer -quite cheap less than a tenner at a computer fair or even your local independant shop.
PCW will wanr more -of course
Less by mail order but postage on top.

woodchip 20:59 02 Sep 2005

Don't forget what I said above. You could be wasting your money on a card

freaky 10:08 03 Sep 2005

The Belkin USB2 PCI Card that I bought last year from PCW, included a CD with drivers for non-XP configured PC's. The PC I fitted the card into had XP so did not load the drivers, therefore cannot comment if OK or not.

rabbitrabbit 13:55 03 Sep 2005

ok thanks. decided to get USB 2.0 this morning. so far so good. works fine i think. tried swapping over some files and it was much faster :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)