External hard drive advice please

poohtigger1964 05:54 22 Mar 2007

I have a dell pc but it has only 20gb of hard drive. I want to buy new hard drive, external, how do I make this my primary drive and transfer all software on to it? Will any hard drive do or is there only certain ones compatible?

Many Thanks

Paul

Kev.Ifty 07:20 22 Mar 2007

I believe an external HDD is only a storage device and you cannot use it as you would an internal ie: with an OS.

€dstowe 07:39 22 Mar 2007

Keep the current drive for the operating system and programs. Move your data and files to the external drive.

terryf 07:52 22 Mar 2007

20gb is more than adequate to hold OS and program files. Add new HD (as big as you can afford) as slave, transfer all data, docs, tunes, pics, etc. and OE Store folder to this drive. Buy Acronis TI and make backup of your C drive on new D drive. For instructions to fit new drive, Google for 'how to fit a slave hard drive'. Do not move My Documents to D:, just open new folders and save to these locations.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:18 22 Mar 2007

Running software from an external HD should present no problems. Unless you are a mad keen bonkers gamer you will notice no difference in speed even if the connection is a USB1. You can transfer as much as you like to the ext. HD and with prices of about £60 for a 300GB it makes sense. All you need to do is plug it in and your computer will recognise it straight away and you can then copy and paste all the programmes you want to.

G

poohtigger1964 18:53 23 Mar 2007

Somebody mentioned to me I need to format the new hard drive before I add anything........do I and how simple is it. Many Thanks Folk

woodchip 18:58 23 Mar 2007

The New drive may be setup ready to run, if you buy one already in a caddy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:00 23 Mar 2007

Plug drive into USB port and power up as required.

My computor - right click - Manage - Storage - Disk Management.

you should see the drive in disk management-highlight the drive - right click -select initialise and then format.

Doug29 00:18 24 Mar 2007

Just got a Western Digital External 500GB My Book today from Amazon for £100 delivered. Already FAT32. Just plugged it in and it worked straight away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?