External Hard drive

Hangwi 08:13 06 Jan 2011

I have a terabyte but it fell down on the floor, now it cant open, please help?

wee eddie 09:04 06 Jan 2011

Such a shock is frequently fatal to a hard Drive as the Reading Arms may have slipped/jumped from their bearings.

If, after all the suggestions that others will offer, nothing has worked. Try remembering, at what angle it hit the floor, and give it an equal, and opposite, dunt.

Finally try jumping on it.

woodchip 10:01 06 Jan 2011

kaput

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:36 06 Jan 2011

Do you get any indications when its plugged in?
Does the PC recognise that a USB? device is attached but not open the drive in My computer?

Two possibilities

The drive itself is damaged (not much hope of recovery
or
the caddy it fits into is damaged.

remove the drive from the caddy and fit to another caddy or connect directly to your PC and retry

Hangwi 10:45 06 Jan 2011

It doesnt appear on My Computer, but you can see that it is on becuase of the light. When I hold it close to my ear, I hear no sound of something reading...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:48 06 Jan 2011

Assuming its connected by USB - try plulling the usb plug out the PC and then reconnect , the PC should show its been removed or reconnected (usually by a symbol oin the system try bottom right corner)

Hangwi 10:55 06 Jan 2011

I tried removing the usb plug but it doesnt display the message to say it have been removed

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:27 06 Jan 2011

Its possible you could be lucky and its the caddy that's damaged and not the drive.

Can you disconnect the power and usb from the drive and open the casing to get at the drive?

Hangwi 11:45 06 Jan 2011

I will try do that and will let you know about the outcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017