EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

elmoddy 18:21 17 Jan 2009

I just took delivery of an external hard drive with the inscription;ONLY FOR SATA DRIVE.Am currently using a DELL INSPIRON 510m which i purchased in 04.Can you confirm if the laptop is SATA compatible? Thanks.

DieSse 19:56 17 Jan 2009

What's the connection to type to your system - if it's USB it will work on any system with USB. If it's an eSATA connection, you will need to have an eSATA facility, which isn't on every system.

elmoddy 20:57 17 Jan 2009

Thanks DieSse,

The connection to the system is vie a USB port.The usb cable that came with the hard drive has a dual head at one end and connection to the drive at the other. please advice if both usb should be connected to both port on the system?.The manual that came with the hard drive was very sketchy and does not say much...

Thanks

woodchip 21:14 17 Jan 2009

As above, it looks like the Drive you have got only connects to Sata Socket. If you do not have one it means changing the drive for a ATA USB drive or getting a PCI Sata upgrade card to plug the drive into

DieSse 22:01 17 Jan 2009

"...please advice if both usb should be connected to both port on the system"

Yes they should. It's a means to get more power to run the drive, and obviate the need for a separate power supply adapter.

elmoddy 22:03 17 Jan 2009

Thanks all....you have all been fantastic..The hard drive has picked up after replacing the dual headed usb cable with a single one.Have commenced information tranfer.

Cesar 09:43 18 Jan 2009

I have a similar cable on my Maxtor external HD one cable is for power and the other is for Power and Data which is marked on the reverse of the USB plug

elmoddy 19:00 18 Jan 2009

thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?