External Hard drive.

bta1 17:08 02 Mar 2006

I have just brought a new PC with a bigger hard drive. Is it possible to take my old hard drive out of my old PC and use it as an external hard drive on my new one.
If so do i just have to buy one of the usb enclosures, stick it in and then let it go or is it more complicated than that.
Using XP on both hard drives. (Also, the old hard drive uses an IDE lead, the new on doesn't.)

rawprawn 17:33 02 Mar 2006

Why not fit it in the new PC as a slave?

rawprawn 17:36 02 Mar 2006

Sorry I didn't read the IDE problem, so I don't know if it can be fiited as slave if your new PC is SATA

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 02 Mar 2006

Yes, "If so do i just have to buy one of the usb enclosures, stick it in and then let it go or is it more complicated than that."

shouldn't be as the drive is already partiitioned and formatted.

Plug in to (IDE)enclosure with the jumper set as master.

connect to PC USB port, XP should find new hardare and install and drive should appear in My computer.

Marsh Warden © ™ 18:12 02 Mar 2006
  bta1 20:05 02 Mar 2006

the actual drive is a

seagate u7.

model no. st360012a

its 60GB.

Having looked at cases (or caddies as they are apparently called) they all look a little small. For example there are 3.5 inch cases and 2.5 inch cases. Whats the difference. Do you have to get the right one?? Most of them seem geared towards lap top hard drives. This is an ex-desktop hard drive.(This may be a dumb question, but what do you want from me?)

Zeppelyn 21:32 02 Mar 2006

You want a 3.5", have a look at Dabs or Amazon, theres plenty of choice. Unless you need the portability I'd install it in the case. If your new PC is SATA as it sounds then why not install as Master IDE.

bta1 21:58 02 Mar 2006

"If your new PC is SATA as it sounds then why not install as Master IDE."

That sounds like what i wanted to do in the 1st place, but i thought it wouldn't be possible. The comp is sata, but the old hard drive runs with IDE cables. Is it possible then to put the hard drive in the actual machine?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:42 03 Mar 2006

There may be one or two IDE ports in your PC, each port can run two devices off one cable

Still need IDE for the DVD / CD drives

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?