EXTERNAL DVD/CD RE-WRITER DRIVE ISSUE

rotormota 07:31 03 Oct 2006

I have just bought a new MCXP PC & installed an existing external LG multi-format DVD/CD drive. The installation was successful in that Windows correctly identified the hardware, installed drivers & displays the LG in 'My Computer'.

The LG works with all formats including RAM discs. When I inserted a RAM disc that I had generated when the LG was connected to my old PC the data is readable but I cannot copy anything to the disc or indeed change any text. Windows is showing me messages telling me I can't do this too.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
J

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:35 03 Oct 2006

Could it be a drive letter issue.

VoG II 11:13 03 Oct 2006

What are the messages?

rotormota 21:52 04 Oct 2006

When placing a DVD RAM disc with an existing text file already on it (created with the LG when connected to my old PC) in to the drive these are the messages:

When changing the file content & trying to 'Save':
'Cannot create the R:PW.txt file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct.'

When trying to 'Save as':
PW1. You do not have permission to save in this directory. See the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the My Documents folder instead?'

When trying a drag & drop on to the disc:
'Cannot copy 076: Files on this CD-ROM drive are read only. You cannot copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive.'

I also get these messages with blank RAM disks, CD-Rs & DVD-Rs.

Any further thoughts chaps?

Best regards,
J

Totally-braindead 21:56 04 Oct 2006

Only thoughts I have are either you are trying to save a file with the same name and it doesn't like it as there is already a file with that name on it. Or you have closed the disk not allowing you to add more info on it ie made it read only.
When I am burning I usually use Nero and just tick the multisession box and that allows me to keep adding till the disk is full, or I decide to close it.

rotormota 22:02 04 Oct 2006

Thanks TB but I tried changing the file name hence the 'Save As' message & also blank discs are apparently equally unuseable.

rotormota 19:05 05 Oct 2006

Any more thoughts?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?