External DVD rewriter

BingoBoy 19:02 05 Jul 2010

I have attached an external DVD rewriter in an attempt to download movies and pictures from my Lumix FZ38 camera but although my PC recognises the DVD rewriter when I try to copy a movie or picture onto a DVD it comes up with the message E: not accessible - incorrect function. Am I missing something that will allow me to complete this operation?

mgmcc 20:40 05 Jul 2010

Which version of Windows are you using?

Windows XP has built-in support for burning CDs, but *not* DVDs. To burn DVDs with XP you need to install additional software, such as the excellent free "CDBurnerXP" (which does also support DVD) click here

BingoBoy 21:52 05 Jul 2010

Windows XP Home SP 3.

mgmcc 22:26 05 Jul 2010

...so do you have DVD burning software installed?

BingoBoy 08:15 06 Jul 2010

I have now as I have downloaded the CDBurnerXP software as per your suggestion. I have managed to burn some jpeg images from my camera that was linked direct into my PC onto a DVD but cannot view the DVD contents via my PC or my DVD player. The DVD was a +RW and this seems to be OK for my Panasonic HDD DVD player but the message said the format was incompatible. The other issue was that none of the movies that had been recorded on my Lumix FZ38 came through onto my PC when I linked it via a USB connection so I could not burn any movies onto disc. Whenever I attempt to view on my PC I get the message E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function.

Any ideas? I want to be able to download pictures and movies from my camera onto a DVD and retain all the information about each picture - sounds straight forward to me but obviously not. My PC is about 6 years old and is a Dell Dimension 2400 and is probably not able to cope with new technology. I need to know what needs upgrading in order to carry out this simple transfer - help!

wee eddie 10:35 06 Jul 2010

Are you copying the File onto the PC first and then writing it to the DVD Drive, or are you trying to copy the File directly from the Camera to the DVD Drive via the PC?

BingoBoy 10:59 06 Jul 2010

Initially I tried to copy the movies and pictures from the files that I had downloaded from my camera onto my PC but this failed as it could not find the E: drive despite it showing up on my PC.

Following this I then hooked up my camera via a USB connection to my PC then found the F drive through the CDBurnerXP prrogramme. However only the jpeg pictures appeared and I could not locate the movies that are on the camera. The DVD burner seemed to copy these pictures across but I have not been able to verify this as neither ny PC or my DVD player wil play back what I have burned.

wee eddie 12:11 06 Jul 2010

Save the content of your Camera's memory to a Folder on your PC > Open CDBurner (I assume that it can handle DVDs but it's name 'CDBurner' suggests not) and select the Items that you wish to burn, transferring copies of them into the 'To be Burned' Folder > Use CDBurner to burn them.

As all my back-ups have been done using either Zip Disks or External Hard Drives for the last 10 years or so, these instructions may be deeply flawed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone