External drives not recognised. This is annoying!

herc182 10:07 09 Nov 2007

I recently installed lockngo (click here) and synctoy (click here). Dont know if this is related to the problem but seems to coincide with the problem starting.
I installed those two programs on my USB pen drive.
Anyway, whenever i plug in my external HDD, or a pendrive, or i put a memory card in the card reader, they are not recognised. A sound is made (letting me know that the computer recognises somethings plugged in) but there is nothing in my computer.
However, if I right click on "My computer", then "manage" then "disk management", i see everything I have plugged in in that window. I can then right click on my drive and click "Open" and it will open.
Another thing that happens when i plug in a drive is that Adobe Lightroom opens automatically. That never used to happen.

I have windows xp. Any ideas?
thanks

Technotiger 10:27 09 Nov 2007

I would say that this 'problem' is almost certainly the result of a setting in Locngo - though I am not familiar with that particular program. I would advise you to check its settings to see if I am correct or not. If you still have the problem, un-install Locngo and see if the problem disappears - you can always re-install again later.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:40 09 Nov 2007

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

woodchip 18:56 09 Nov 2007

Sounds like it's done what graphics acamera software does if you do not do a custom install, it's changed everything to work around the program you loaded. Only way back is ether with a old restore point to before you loaded the Program or reinstall a Image if you have one

herc182 14:24 11 Nov 2007

sorry for not replying. I tried the "autoplay" fix from microsoft and that worked temporarily.
However, autoplay does not work again, but the drives are now being registered in my computer. weird damn prob...

Mick54 17:30 11 Nov 2007

Hiya If your PC is not recognising any devices that are plugged into your usb ports it could be a build up of residual power in your mother board. I had this problem when my PC did not recognise my Sony PSP. I solved it by turning off the power supply completely to my PC. Switch your PC off at the back or unplug it for at least half an hour. The power must be completely cut off for it to work. Re boot and it should be ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017