External drive not working

ns1889 12:37 18 Aug 2008

I have 2 external hard drives , I reloaded XP after getting a virus and now one of the drives does not work. My pc says its there . Both external caddies are working as I swapped the drives over.I have tried 2 different PC`s but still no luck. When I switch on the hard drive windows says found new hardware and its ready to use( this never used to happen). Any help will be useful as i had just spent 4 hours moving everything from My C drive on PC onto external drive.

thms 13:17 18 Aug 2008

You say your pc says it's there, is it showing under disc management. Right click on my computer select manage then disc management. If it's there what does it say.

New hardware found will show up as you have re-installed windows.

I assume you are unable to access the drive.
If you can see it try running CHKDSK

ns1889 14:39 18 Aug 2008

im at work just now but I will check when I get home. I do not have access to the drive just now so cant run a check on it.

ns1889 18:12 18 Aug 2008

OK im in the disk manager and i can see my hard drive which says unallocated.If i right click it it asks if i want to partition it, will this mean i lose all my files

woodchip 19:00 18 Aug 2008

It should show in My Computer, just double click it to open the Folders

woodchip 19:01 18 Aug 2008

I think what you are saying is that Windows is not scanning the Drive and asking you what you want to open it with

thms 19:34 18 Aug 2008

Have a look here
click here

ns1889 00:19 19 Aug 2008

thms you are a star.I now have my files back. Still havent got a clue what happened but hey its fixed.Thanks

ns1889 20:51 24 Aug 2008

i tried to use find and mount in vista but it doesnt work , is there a similar programme that works in vista

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?