External drive not recognised

m800afc 08:19 31 Oct 2008

Win XP Pro SP3
Last evening my computer crashed and would not restart. After leaving it overnight it restarted normally. (PSU overheating?) However one of my external drives is simply not being recognised. It does not appear at all in "My Computer". The drive was not in use before the crash, and a system restore has not solved the problem. Turning off/on the PSU to the drive has not solved the problem neither has disconnecting/reconnecting the USB connection. Any ideas as to solve this difficulty would be greatly appreciated.

m800afc 09:22 31 Oct 2008

I have just tried the drive in question on my laptop. It works perfectly.

woodchip 09:31 31 Oct 2008

Try these two, 1/ turn off computer remove all external USB plugs remove 13amp wall plug then hold start button for ten seconds. Restart as normal and try the drive in correct socket first.
2/ go into device manager uninstall all usb at bottom left, then remove all USB plugs.
Restart as above allow computer to reconfigure USB before plugging drive in to try.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:48 31 Oct 2008

Go to start/control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management and you should see the drive there. Right click on the drive and select 'change drive letter. Assign it any old drive letter that is not in use (X is usually a good one).

G

m800afc 09:59 31 Oct 2008

Woodchip.
Thank you very much for your advice. I did as you suggested and it did the job. I am now able to use the drive normally.

woodchip 16:37 31 Oct 2008

Which one was it that worked?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache