External drive not now visible on other PC.

compumac 17:18 25 Jun 2010

Posted this on Networking forum but no replies, so thought I would try the Helproom.

I have two PC’s using XP Home and networked through a BT Home hub. Both of the PC’s have external hard drives attached and each of those external drives have been visible to the other via Windows Explorer. I have just installed a new hard drive on PC1 and restored an image created the day before. Those external drives can still be seen from their own Windows Explorer.
I now find that whereas I can see the other PC in Windows Explorer and can access the folders within the internal drive, I cannot now see the its external drive. What do I need to do to access those external drives?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:36 25 Jun 2010

You need to Set sharing for the external drive its probably change drive letter.

Set sharing for the new drive letter.

compumac 18:08 25 Jun 2010

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Thanks for that. Have been down that avenue in that I started completely afresh in respect of the identification of the external hard drives and set sharing with file change permissions etc. Both PC's can see the other's external drive but cannot access it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 25 Jun 2010

My computer->right click hard drive->properties->sharing & security tab->select "share this folder on the network." Also select "Allow network users to change my files."

compumac 19:04 25 Jun 2010

Fruit Bat/\0/\
Both of those checked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017