external drive issues

Cessna 18:53 04 Jan 2006

Can any of you guys help me solve this one? I bought a brand new Phillips external 250 gig hard drive to do some back ups and extra storage; and it came pre formatted ready to go out of the box. Plugged it in, all up and running and appeared fine. Under properties it listed available free space on the hard drive as 244 gig. fine. no problems. however, once i had backed up My Music folder, and some picture albums and basically put about 25 gig worth of stuff on it.... now when I am trying to save a 12 gig avi video file onto it, a warning comes up saying there is not enough free space on the drive!! the properties of the drive indicate 219 gig free space.

the drive appears to be formatted as FAT 32, and in the manual it recommends ntfs for XP. could this be the problem.

it certainly is not partitioned as it only shows up with one drive name.

i have powered down and back up, removed it and plugged it back in etc. and each time it still warns me there is not enough room on the disk.

should i reformat into ntfs and try again see if it makes any difference? have i got a dead drive? or what else could i do?

cheers guys, youve never let me down before.

thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:07 04 Jan 2006

FAt32 will not handle above 4G files, you will need to change to NTFS

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

D:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Where D: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without of data loss.

GroupFC 19:08 04 Jan 2006

"the drive appears to be formatted as FAT 32, and in the manual it recommends ntfs for XP. could this be the problem." - could be.

As I understand it FAT32 has a file size limit of 4gb, and whilst this wouldn't be a problem for your music and pictures (as the files in the various folders would be under 4gb), clearly for one .avi file this is not the case.

GroupFC 19:08 04 Jan 2006

Doh - too slow again!

ami 19:16 04 Jan 2006

My understanding of FAT32 vs NTFS is that the maximum file size under FAT32 is 4Gb, whilst under NTFS it is limited only by the volume size.
Hence you cannot save your 12Gb AVI file on a FAT32 volume.
The cluster size under FAT32 is also limited to 268435456 whilst it is virtually unlimited under NTFS.
I'm no expert on cluster size etc so I look to other Forum members for confirmation of the above.

Cessna 19:40 04 Jan 2006

cheers guys. job done, and resolved the issue. happy new year to you all.

thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?