EXTERNAL DRIVE HELP PLEASE

LANDCRUISER 14:52 31 Jan 2008

I need to get into my external hard drive because i have all my back up file there but the pc comes up with unknown device & i tried what i know but still have problem,i had a look on archos web site but nothing on this problem,i even tried there drivers they have there,this used to work,last 4yrs no problems why has this happened now,on my pc it says its working but its not working,does it need a driver for this as there no drivers loaded and cannot remember if you need it,i tried updating driver from microsoft but it say i cant find a better one,funny as there none loaded,please help as im going up the wall with this

Diemmess 14:58 31 Jan 2008

Assume the external HD is connected via USB?

A starting point for USB devices developing "cloth ears" is to go to open Device Manager and Uninstall the whole lot of controllers and USB devices.
The external HD doesn't need to be connected to do this.

Not as drastic as it sounds - because on rebooting, Windows loads a brand new set hopefully saying goodbye to the previous bother.

LANDCRUISER 15:02 31 Jan 2008

hi diemmess,allready tried this but still have problem

johndrew 15:04 31 Jan 2008

This may help as well, but I don`t like the sound of the third paragraph click here also this may help click here.

LANDCRUISER 15:12 31 Jan 2008

hi johndrew,had a look at your links,im using windows home xp on this pc & not media

LANDCRUISER 16:19 31 Jan 2008

any other ideas i can try

some tips
click here
Also static build up can affect usbs,shutdown pc,remove power lead,leave for 30 mins and reboot.

Can you try the drive on another pc to verify its ok?

johndrew 10:16 01 Feb 2008

This chap seemed to have a similar problem click here and click here
A further thought, have you checked the cable? click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:12 01 Feb 2008

Have you tried it on another PC or laptop?

LANDCRUISER 00:31 02 Feb 2008

hi guys,just been reading the replys on your links & wow what a lot of people have this problem looks like no easy cure will read more tomorrow & come back,to late now

LANDCRUISER 13:05 03 Feb 2008

any other things i can try,if i do a reformat the hard drive will this solve the problem because i need the backup on this external drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?