external drive enclosures problem

steerstuffer 21:39 30 Jan 2006

i got one of these and put my gard drive in it. My computer detected it and started to install the software but then encountered a problem. I went to device manager and it had a yellow explanation point. Under properties it said Code 10: This device cannot start. What is happening? What do I do to get this going? Thanks

Totally-braindead 21:40 30 Jan 2006

Is it set as master, what operating system do you have and did it come with a CDROM disk?

Totally-braindead 21:42 30 Jan 2006

Advice for XP click here

Softstag 22:55 30 Jan 2006

What operating system are you using?

steerstuffer 23:02 30 Jan 2006

I have a Dell 8400 with Xp and yes, it came with a little 3 inch cd that says driver but it wouldn't accept anything from it. When it comes to jumpers I have no idea what you are talking about so that may be the problem. What do I do?

Totally-braindead 12:39 31 Jan 2006

You've ticked this as resolved, is it? Or was that a mistake? If you look at this you can see the things called jumpers click here all it is basically is a little metal clip covered in plastic which you can use to connect 2 pins on the hard drive. It will tell you on the hard drive about the settings, they will be CS or cable select, master and slave. In order to use the hard drive in an enclosure it must be set as master.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?