External Drive Enclosure for DVD Writer

-pops- 13:57 24 May 2003

I've run out of drive bays on my current machine and want to install a DVD writer.

I am used to using firewire and USB1 & 2 external enclosures with IDE hard drives so, I am thinking now of putting my new DVD writer into a similar setup.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, whether you have experience of a setup like this or can see any pitfalls?

The things in the bays at the moment are CDRW, CD ROM, DVD ROM, hard drive in removable caddy. I would like to keep all of these but consider only the hard drive/caddy as immovable. Do you think I would be better putting the DVD writer in a bay in place of one of the other devices and then put that in the external box?

(N.B. In case someone thinks the number of IDE devices a bit odd, I do have a Promise card giving me 4 extra IDE connections).

Thanks in anticipation.

Brian

-pops- 14:00 24 May 2003

Another point - any advantage firewire vs USB2? I have both available.

Brian

jeez 14:05 24 May 2003

yes, I'd get rid of the cdrom as all the drives you mention can read cd's. If your loathed to do this however. I'm not sure if a caddy can be bought that will house the dvd writer, but I use a freecom external cdrw as a caddy (take the cdrw out and you can plug any ide device into the guts for a usb connection) this is drastic though and I love to take things apart! LOL

-pops- 14:11 24 May 2003

Yes, enclosures can be obtained, I will post details if you wish.

I see your point about replacing the CD ROM - this is a throwback with me to when these drives were expensive and I only liked using a drive for what it was originally intended for - and not putting wear where it wasn't necessary (if you see what I mean!).

Thanks for your input.

Brian

-pops- 16:24 24 May 2003

Moving to top.

Any more comments?

-pops- 05:51 25 May 2003

Oh well, never mind.

I'll give it a go anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?