External drive Advice

Hangus 08:11 18 Oct 2007

Having suffered problems in the past I am considering using an external hard drive to save my important data such as music, photos, etc.. Is it possible to simply drag and drop files onto an external drive like I would with, say, a data stick, and then reverse this as and when needed or do I need any special software. Do I need to install the software on the external drive as well as the pc (such as microsoft office). How do I then copy it back from the external drive to the main computer? Sorry if this sounds a bit simple, but I am not at all familiar with external drives and not too clever with the workings of my pc. I have had a few crashes and lost data in the past and cd's are simply not big enough.

rawprawn 08:33 18 Oct 2007

No problem just plug it in and you have another drive on your machine. You can drag and drop just like on your C: drive
I use a Western Digital My Book and have no problems at all. (Get the biggest you can afford)

xania 08:44 18 Oct 2007

However, do not leave your drive connected to your PC when not in use. Image the worst - an electrical spike or fire ruins your HDD, and, because your backup device is attached, or even just in the same room, that goes up in smoke as well!!!
For safety, keep your back-ups somewhere else or at least as far away from the computer as possible.

crosstrainer 08:52 18 Oct 2007

Checking the file format when you purchase the drive, I recently bought a 500gb external for backups, and it came with fat32 file system...No problem though, you just format it to NTFS, drag and drop works fine, but always use the "safely remove hardware" option when you have finished with it, and as stated by xania, always disconnect it when not in use.
click here

Plenty of others around the same price as this one!

Stuartli 08:55 18 Oct 2007

I use a Seagate external hard drive to backup my desktop - the supplied backup software, BounceBack, can be used to take a full backup initially and you can then make incremental backups regularly or as required.

The software, which is installed on your main system, includes the means to Restore individual files or folders if necessary or a complete reinstall of data.

Hangus 11:16 18 Oct 2007

Thanks all. I am going shopping.

2neat 23:55 18 Oct 2007

i purchased on of these click here I keep it in my jacket pocket away from home. It is fast and powers from usb like a mem stick. All my photos, music etc is backed up.
Simply drag n drop onto disk, no special softy required.

2neat 23:56 18 Oct 2007

i purchased on of these click here I keep it in my jacket pocket away from home. It is fast and powers from usb like a mem stick. All my photos, music etc is backed up.
Simply drag n drop onto disk, no special softy required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?