External drive access via internet

emmandelo1 18:32 15 Jan 2011

I have an external hard drive connected to my laptop with thousands of family photos on it. My sister lives the other side of the country. Is there any way of giving her private access to the external drive via the internet so that she can browse all the photos and download any she might want? Thanks

robin_x 18:52 15 Jan 2011

Try Dropbox. Both of you install it. You drag photos into Your Dropbox and email her a link.

click here

2GB free limit.

emmandelo1 18:55 15 Jan 2011

Thanks robinofloxley. That would be fine if it weren't for the fact that my photos on the drive are 27GB...

robin_x 19:13 15 Jan 2011

oops lol

Make 6 DVDs and stick them in the post

Ashrich 22:32 15 Jan 2011

I would suggest using LogMeIn Hamachi to create a Virtual Private Network consisting of just the 2 PC's , share the drive/folder with the photos on then your sister can browse the folder and save the pictures she wants . It's easy to set up and it works really well .

Ashley

onthelimit 09:54 16 Jan 2011

Teamviewer is free. She can take control of your desktop and browse any folders on any drive.

click here

onthelimit 09:56 16 Jan 2011

Should have added that this is to look pics at only, not to download. Might be a problem anyway with ones that size.

emmandelo1 12:33 16 Jan 2011

Thanks Ashrich. LogMeIn looks like the perfect solution. Will download and get it set up.

We aleady have TeamViewer onthelimit. Use it to help my 85 year old father in law with the multitude of problems he has. Not really ideal for use with the photos though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017