External Disk connection via USB2 - HELP!!!!!!

User-30F06F40-507F-43E0-B3DB65A87B01C9A1 16:32 21 Jan 2006

I have a Akasa external housing and a 80g Excelstore hard drive connected with a USB2 cable. It shows in the device manager as working and displays it in the devices by connection BUT it does not appear in explorer. In its properties it showsDevice type - Disk drive: Manufactureer - Disk Drives: Location 0. My main boot drive holds the same Location is this the problem and how is it solved as it does not show up in "Computer Management - Disk Management????????

PC Bilbo 18:09 21 Jan 2006

If you go into Control Panel >Administrative Tools> Computer Management > Disk management, does it show up here?

Have you set the HDD in the ext Housing to master?

Zak 18:21 21 Jan 2006

Have you formatted the 80 gig?

I have checked in disk management and it is not showing. I cannot see it in explorer to format it but it shows in the properties as a 80 g drive in system devices.

PC Bilbo - Sorry, yes I have set it as master.

Cheers

BJY

PC Bilbo 21:08 21 Jan 2006

If all else fails, could you not substitute it for the one into your computer and use a boot disk from a floppy to do an FDISK etc to create a partition & format it ?

You could always convert to NTFS from within Administrative Tools, once it's recognised via USB.

Have you tried it set as slave. I had an external drive that didn't show correctly until it was set as slave but I can't remember what make of hard drive it was, as soon as I reset it all worked ok.

Tried as a slave not showing on device manager. As master it sees it as Location 0 same as my C, is there a way this can be changed or am I a mile off?

PC Bilbo 09:21 22 Jan 2006

Have you formatted it as one FAT32 or NTFS partition? Until you've done this, I'm not sure Windows will be able to fully see it.

For an install guide click here

or for a formatting aid try here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?