external cat5e cable

anders9uk 10:35 18 Mar 2009

Hi can anyone help.. i'm confused

I have just run a 30m cat5e outdoor cable outside the house. It comes into the house through 2 faceplates.
I then use standard cat53 patch cables from the faceplates.

One end is connected directly to my pc which has two 1gb network ports on the motherboard.
The other end is connected to a brand new Netgear 5-port 1gb switch. There is then a cat53 cable from that switch to my netgear wireless router (100mb switch) which gives me ADSL, DHCP, etc.

I can connect happily at 100mb but not at 1gb. Is this because the cat5e cable is too long, or the faceplates are adding noise? or have I done something else wrong?

Do I need to go buy cat6 cable instead?

Any help would be great. I'm a novice at this.

Thanks

Scott

mgmcc 11:39 18 Mar 2009

I suspect the inclusion of the Router's 100Mbps switch will restrict the speed of the entire network to 100Mbps, but you can check that by disconnecting the router to see at what speed the computers connect directly. In the absence of the DHCP server (the Router), Windows will allocate "169.254" APIPA addresses, but you should still be able to ascertain the network speed.

Although not mentioned, presumably there is more than one computer involved, otherwise the Gigabit network to a router with 100Mbps LAN ports is pointless?

anders9uk 11:44 18 Mar 2009

It was my fault. I'd not read the instructions on the new switch and it had one port for the uplink to the router. I had the cables in the wrong port. My PC can now see my netgear nas and both ports show 1gbps.
If the NAS and PC are on the 1gbps switch and the router is also plugged into this uplink port will this be slowing everything back down to 100mbps again then? I will upgrade the netgear router to 1gbps but was waiting until the new one comes out

ambra4 11:49 18 Mar 2009

“I can connect happily at 100mb but not at 1gb”

All Cable/ASDL modems/routes will only transfer data at 10/100Mbps have not found or seen

one that will transfer data at 1000Mbps as yet.

If you have a 10/100/1000Mbps LAN card the speed between the router and the computer will automatically adjust to 100Mbps

Across a local network PC-to-PC if all the PC’s have a 10/100/1000Mbps LAN cards the transfer rate would be 1000Mbps

Decent network performance requires more than just a gigabit adapters you also need decent-

quality cabling

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?