external caddy with 20 gb h/d ?? not recognised

acein1 21:23 23 May 2007

hi i have a 20gb hardrive in a caddy mains powered and usb conected,the drive was working fine some time ago ,so im assuming its still ok,when connected to my p/c (win xp home)the led light comes on ,but the drive is not seen in my computer,ive tried restarting,and unpluging and repluging,but nothing,any help would be appreciated thanks

Totally-braindead 21:34 23 May 2007

There was another thread on the same thing a couple of days ago click here I did post on it, I know theres a way of getting windows to see the drive so it appears in My Computer but I can't recall how to do it. I was kind of hoping some of the others would post about it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:43 23 May 2007

1. Make sure drive is set as master on its jumper setting.

2. If still not seen in My Computer have a lok in disk management it may need to be initialised and formated.

acein1 21:55 23 May 2007

fruit bat
Make sure drive is set as master on its jumper setting.
sorry i dont understand,issent my "c" drive the master,i thought this external drive would show up as another "mass storage device",thanks to all for advice so far

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:12 23 May 2007

Yes C: dive will be set as master and be on your primary IDE channel.

The caddy is plugged into the USB.
Unplug caddy from PC disconnect power to drive the caddy.
Take the drive out of the caddy and check its settings, the jumper postions should be shown on a sticker on the drive.

Make sure the jumper is set to MASTER and refit the drive in the caddy and then plug the USB cable back into the PC.
XP should then find new hardware and it should show in My computer as a mass storage device.

woodchip 22:17 23 May 2007

The drive in the caddy as to be set as master for it to be seen when it is connected to USB. then you right click My Computer Icon click Manage\Disc Management. That's if it does not show in My Computer when you double click the icon

acein1 07:23 24 May 2007

to everybody,many thanks for your help ,its all ok now up and running cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires