Extending wireless internet range with two routers

u0362565 14:14 31 Jan 2015

Hi all,

I was just wondering if its possible to extend your wireless network range by having one main router connected to the phone line and then extending its range by having a second router elsewhere in the house (both routers connected to each other wirelessly). Ideally the second router would only require power and would allow devices to WIRELESSLY connect to it and thus the internet. I have read about using a second router to provide wired connections to devices but surely a wireless connection is also possible?

I have an EE router for my main router and then an older Sky Sagemcom router that i'd like to be a wireless repeater. Another issue is whether the sky routers can have their firmware changed to enable this..

Thanks for the help,

Matt

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:53 31 Jan 2015
  u0362565 16:15 31 Jan 2015

Actually i did see this article but wondered whether it could be done with out the powerline adapter. I do have one so could try this out.

Thanks,

u0362565 16:56 31 Jan 2015

I am following the article mentioned in a previous post: click here main router has ip address 192.168.1.1 and my slave routers default address was 192.168.0.1, so i changed this to 192.168.1.50 hoping this was outside the range automatically assigned by my main router. I also disabled DHCP. When i applied this setting a page appeared to say the router will reboot as described in the article. If i now type the new address i assigned to the slave router into my browser it isn't able to connect to it. I use a mac and on the wifi symbol in the menu bar my computer is connected to the slave router but there is now an exclamation mark. In the network settings page the router's ip address is no longer displayed..

The article says that i should still be able to access the slave router in case i need to change settings in future but now i can't do that. I haven't yet tried proceeding anyway to see if the final step (connecting everything together works-i suspect it won't work.). Just not sure whats gone wrong?

My slave router is a sky sagemcom.

Thanks for the help.

My

u0362565 17:10 31 Jan 2015

Ok it works! I just can't access the slave anymore.. Hopefully i don't need to.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:16 31 Jan 2015

you will be able to connect by wire or even reset it if required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017