Extending wi-fi to external building

Meekyman 21:05 15 May 2014

Hi,

We would like extend wifi coverage to an external building and posting for opinions on if I am missing out on a really simple solution.

We have a BTHomeHub 4 modem/router, which is dual band, in our house which is Victorian with thick walls. The external building is a new-build home-office sited approx. 6 m from the nearest wall in our house and a further 6m from the current router position. The home office is on the second floor of the new build. The router and new build are in line of sight and currently has to go through 3 walls.

The first thing I tried was a Netgear wireless powerline adapter. The electricity for our home and the new build is on one meter but the new build has a separate fuse box, so I guessed on the same ring main. The powerline adapter worked fine in our house but no connection once moved to the new build.

I then bought a dual band wifi extender and found that by moving the router around our house to a place with two walls between (none Victorian) I could get a strong enough signal for the extender to provide an excellent signal in the office when it was placed in the office itself. To do this I had to move the router 10 m from its current position. Long-term, this would mean a new telephone point so that we don't have 10m of cable!!

The only other solution I can think of is to connect the modem/router via ethernet cable, take the cable outside and across the garden and connect to an access point. Is this sensible? Do access points weaken wireless signals? This involves quite a lot of drilling and before looking into it further, want to know it its the best solution. I can see advantages in a wired connection. Any recommended access points that are easy to set up and secure - I am not useless but not an expert either.

Many thanks and sorry for the ramble

Graham

onthelimit1 09:14 16 May 2014

I'd go for the ethernet cable option. an access point will produce a signal as strong as the main router. The ones I've installed have all been plug and play. You will need a crimping tool to attach the plugs on each end of the ethernet cable (and the plugs or course). I got a really cheap one off ebay which has proved satisfactory for the few times I need to use it. Pretty much any access point will do what you want. I have used these in the past. Example of crimper here.

alanrwood 10:32 16 May 2014

For a reliable connection ethernet is the only way to go. Make sure you protect the cable when you lay it underground.

I use the Access Point below and it has worked well for £9.99.

click here

wiz-king 14:55 16 May 2014

I would go for a Cat 6 cable and if you need to bury it run it through a length of hosepipe.

Meekyman 16:04 16 May 2014

Thanks everyone. Looks like the cable option is favoured.

Time to buy a long drill to get the cable through Victorian walls!

onthelimit1 17:22 16 May 2014

Cheap as chips from ebay!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?