Extending range of Wireless Modem Router

Elms 17:30 05 Dec 2007

I have a Netgear DG384PN Modem Router and I am very pleased with it. However, the range just falls short of what I need to access the Internet from my Sony Playstation 3 which is in the room farthest from my study. I purchased a Sitecom range extender but I cannot get it to work (my fault, perhaps). Can anybody suggest a means of achieving what I want. I have considered purchasing a Netgear Modem Router to the pre N specification but it's a lot of money and I am nervous that it would not help and incompatibility could create problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Regards,
Elms

ambra4 23:32 05 Dec 2007

Look at these options

1 - If your router antenna can be removed look at replacing with a hi gain antenna

click here

2 – Install a Hi-Gain™ Wireless-G Range Extender

click here

BioBob 11:24 06 Dec 2007

I am having same issues - my problem is the brick walls and thats despite having the latest long range wireless solution! I really thought that i would be hacing everyone in London trying to hack into my router given its range and all the blurb, but it doesnt even reach from the back room to the kitchen - and its a small house before you ask!

In desperation I called our PC supplier (NSYS - click here) since PCWorld didnt have a clue how to solve it; they looked at me as if I was the only person in the world to have this problem!

Anyway, NSYS suggested that I consider using a powerline solution (what thehell!?) especially since its only to surf the net and send e-mails.

I have tried the Netgear ones they suggested and amazing... it works. All I do is connect my modem to a special plug. I then have another plug which I plug in anywhere in the house and it generates its own wireless connection. No more problems!

The unit they suggested in my case was called the Netgear Powerline Wireless Range Extender WGXB102UK

Hope that helps.

Kemistri 12:08 06 Dec 2007

I am always a little bit surprised that people [a] believe the marketing hype (perhaps without checking the IEEE spec figures) and/or [b] ignore the issue of claimed figures for technical standards. Claimed figures for any wifi spec will be what the IEEE could achieve in perfect conditions.

The figures almost always go in the order of: marketing hype; IEEE testing; the real world.

And the IEEE is no different to any other standards body: it tests in the only way that it knows and lab testing of technical equipment by its nature tends to produce results that are optimistic once the real world is at work on it. Rather like the claimed figures for battery life.

Added to that is the unescapable limitation of low-power Ghz-frequency radio transmissions: unimpeded by solid objects, the signal travels for quite a long distance, but trap it in a house and it won't.

Elms 19:49 06 Dec 2007

ambra4 & BioBob
Many thanks for your helpful suggestions. I am hopeful that one of them (possibly either of them) will be capable of solving my problem.

ambra4 10:19 07 Dec 2007

Elms

Check this posting

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?