Extending Network

TobyLong 23:40 22 Feb 2015

Hello, we have bt infinity with Hub 5. Across the house each room has a hard wired rj45 port which we had done when we built the house, these ports are connected to an unmanaged switch which in turn is connected to the hub 5 providing both wired and wireless internet across the house. Part of our house is a self contained annexe, we can't receive a wireless signal in there but we do have a hard wired rj45 point which is ok but would really like a wireless signal in there for phones tablets etc. Is there a way and what equipment would I need that would plug into the rj45 port and then send out a wireless internet signal in the annexe? I have an old BT Hub 3 that I plugged in the annex rj45 point (but not the telephone line) to see what would happen, but no luck as it just seems to cause confliction with the hub 5 in the house. I don’t know if there are settings I would need to change on it or even if it would work at all, or maybe I need to buy another piece of equipment? I’m Just looking for a simple solution, we have an unmanaged switch connected to the rj45 point in our sitting room and our tv, dvd player sky box and games console all plug straight into that without any setting up or issues. Is there a wifi version of this on the market?

Any help is appreciated.

Many Thanks

alanrwood 10:18 23 Feb 2015

Buy a dedicated access point/router that plugs into the mains socket and connects to the RJ45. They are about £10 on eBay. I use this one but there are others as well.

click here

Jollyjohn 13:11 23 Feb 2015

You could use the BT Hub3 -See here click here read the Version2 stuff, very similar for hub3 Main points are turning dhcp off and giving hub3 a different ip address. All BT hubs are set as 192.168.1.254, or used to be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?