Extending length of wired connection

  dooplex 21:41 10 Feb 2008

just bought a new desktop pc which is not located next to my router (not ready for wireless yet!). To avoid any drop in broadband performance, is it better to use a longer RJ45 cable, or a longer RJ11 cable? Or is there no difference between the two options?

  Kemistri 22:33 10 Feb 2008

The plug types don't have any effect; it's the wire that matters. That's stating the obvious, of course, but you mention jack types without mentioning the wire types that you will use. I cannot recall the specs for typical internal telephone cabling, but Cat5e crossover can be used at up to 90-100m, theoretically. It's a very robust data link and would always be my preference given the choice.

  The Old Mod 14:55 11 Feb 2008

I agree with Kemistri, from what I know about your question, you would be better off, running a Cat5e cable (RJ545) to your PC, rather than a long telephone extension (RJ11).
Hope this helps.

  The Old Mod 14:56 11 Feb 2008

Sorry, for the typing error, RJ45

  dooplex 08:52 12 Feb 2008

Thanks for your advice Kemistri and Old Mod - will go with the Cat5e extension

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?