Extending guarantee for lap top

geek84 10:10 18 Oct 2009

My 1 year guarantee for my laptop which I bought from PC World has just run out. However, to renew it would cost quite a lot.

Is there any other place that I could go in order to get a cheaper quote? What things would I have to consider when making my final decision?

Thank You

birdface 11:10 18 Oct 2009

How much did they quote you and would it be cheaper just putting the money away to buy a new laptop when needed.

anchor 12:28 18 Oct 2009

Personally, I would not bother, (unless it an extremely expensive model).

Domestic & General commonly insure such items for home use, and their quote is £99 for one year.

click here

The probability is that having worked fine for a year, it will continue to do so for quite a while longer.

Forum Editor 16:14 18 Oct 2009

A laptop that has worked well for a year is likely to go on working well for a long time to come.

Instead of paying out for protection that you're unlikely to need it might make sense to put the money aside to help pay for a replacement machine when the time comes.

mikesuther 16:10 19 Oct 2009

I bought an Acer Ferrai 3200 a few years ago and i went along with the above suggestions even though the machine cost £1500. i was so peeved when at only 14 months it went wrong and i was told that the triple mothe board had some how developed a crack. to buy a new mother board and to pay for the labour i was quoted £650+VAT. I was gutted.

i ended up buying a Toshiba unit for £399 and it had a highter spec just did not have the pose value. I guess what i am saying is that even though it was fairly new Acer did not want to help but the price off computers is always coming down and you can buy a better computer two years on for less money. I now have a 17" HP with 3 GB ram and a 250 gb ram and it only cost £449. I love this machine and i have not taken out the warranty because the features of laptops are limited so when they go wrong it is easy to sell it to the wife that cheaper than to buy an new one rather than repair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?